Saturday, April 10, 2010

Mobile Mariachi


After telling people around me so much about my Malaysia trip, I guess a blog post is in order! Haha, will find a way to put up the pictures too!

while most of the others might title this "LSC Lg. Sg. Chin" or "Horse! Horse! Horse!" I remember my trip more for the on the road singing and random public performances which were totally awesome!

It all started one Sunday while at Canoe Polo, I happen to mention to Nor, I want to be going out and doing more things, then she calls me on a trip to go Whitewater Rafing in Perak, Malaysia with a group of her friends. And thanks to a spontaneous spirit and supportive parents, I'm at Lavender Rd on Good Friday morning with 8.5 strangers (Nor is a half-stranger) about to go on a 2 night trip to Malaysia.





The whole of the first day was travelling. A coach from Lavender Rd to Second Link and into KL. Competing with the insane crowd going for Sepang F1. Then into KL, Ezen and Nor go collect the rental cars, and the evening was spent navigating to Tg. Malim.

We warmed up a little on the bus, a little more in the car. But the breakthrough moment was sitting in our little homestay, singing our hearts out with such classics as With Or Without You, I'm Yours, or my personal favourite, the 4 chord song :D

Still, all off to bed by midnight, cuz we had a packed day ahead!

7 am is not so hard to wake up at when you get up for camp at 6 every morning. Out the door by 8, and breakfast at the same place we had dinner. The Chanai was Shiok! Lift and fluffy, Malaysian goodness :P why doesn't Singapore do it the same?

Then finally, the main event! Whitewater Rafting! A bit of a drive down to the place, we reach, and kill time waiting for our Rover by taking silly pictures and making lots of noise!



The Rover ride was absolute pandemonium! Squeezing at all angles to fit into the photos taken. Haha, best was seeing Nor dangling out on a limb to get more room to take the picture!

then of course, the Horse! Horse! Horse! I think the video says it all:



Whitewater rafting was excellent, but I think my raft had a weight issue, all the M, L and XL happened to be on the same boat, so probably not as much tumble and tussle as it could have been.

When we reached the half-way point, taking a break and having a snack, I realized that the seat of my pants was a little more drafty than usual.

Eh, what you gonna do? Once again wearing boxers have saved the day, by protecting my modesty! :D

Waiting for us back at the 'base camp' was a sumptuous lunch, included with the whitewater package. By this time it was nearing 3, so we had our fill, and made our way towards the Felda Hot Springs too relax our muscles and chill for the day!

Water makes people playful, and I got a chance to reminisce on our cheerleading outings in our TJ days.


I'm still not a big fan of hot springs, mainly because I sweat ever so profusely even while in the hot spring and also, I don't really get the "relaxation" feeling after doing all that, haha, but that's just me.

Fulfilling lah my day in Malaysia, and had so much fun with these crazy people, didn't really want to go back the next day. Little would I know leaving the next day wouldn't be as easy as I we would like to either!


So we try to squeeze in one more little activity before we return home, and end up at a little SEA-s largest indoor rockwall place called Camp 5 @ One Utama. now I haven't done climbing in years, and being the fat kid always afraid of being a burden to someone, now I finally get a chance to try it once again. I did! And it was crazy fun! No doubt, I'm still terrible, but at least now I can climb! I've got more strength, less weight, and more confidence! It was such an accomplished feeling to finish just that first wall. It even warranted a second outing to Climb Asia @ the Civil Servants Club on Friday night!


But due to our rock wall adventure, we ended up missing the 4 pm bus back to singapore. Yet we were unfazed. No 4pm bus? We'll just take the midnight one then!

So we go on to deposit our belongings at one of those safe keep for luggage places, and check that they are open till 11pm. We then head off with Khim's friend, Tareh, as our guide, to let us go gallivanting in Kuala Lumpur. Our morning/afternoons are usually quite strenuous and by nightfall, we are tuckered out, and find lots of relax and chill activities. This day was no exception! As we sat around talking to Tareh and chillin'

What better way to end it all off, than with a massage to work the kinks out our legs and bodies. The full body massage doesn't work for me the same way the hot spring doesn't either. So opted for the leg massage with 10mins on the shoulders and back.

I simply love these people I travelled with, because while waiting for the rest to finish their massages, we break into song, and hold our little concert in the massage parlour!

Now is as good a time as any to let you know that I was the youngest there. My bday is in December so I'm still considered 19. The next youngest would be 25, the bulk of them at 27. The oldest was good ol' Mike, at 32. But there you go! These people were much older than me, but I had awesome fun with them, hardly thinking about our age gap at all! I was super lucky to be on this trip!

Anyway after the massage, we manage a quick dinner, then we rush back at 10:45 to collect our luggage. And Lo and behold, the stupid shop has closed for the day, leaving our group of 10 and one other stranger, mighty pissed off. Thank goodness I had my passport with me. Nor, Mike and Lock weren't as lucky. So the 3 of them extended a night of stay while the 7 of us went back first. The rest of our luggage will follow the 3 of them back the next day.

Left KL at midnight. Stopped for a break at 2 am. Then the Second Link at 4 to 4:30. Home by 5:30. Bathe change and off to camp I go. Just died the whole day in camp. And pretty much pooped the whole week, but definitely an experience I wouldn't want to ever trade up :)


to the gang of Lg. Sg. Chinnoh, much love, and thanks for letting me be a part of it!

for all the photos, check out:
Pearlyn's (Mike's Cam) photos
Lock's Photos

The Lg. Sg. Chinnoh Trailer:

No comments: